The first nights in a new home are often very difficult for puppies. Separated for the first time from his mother and siblings, he suddenly finds himself in an unfamiliar environment, which is very painful for him.
It is therefore not excluded that he is disoriented and frightened, and pushes a pathetic moan which is nothing more than a cry for help.
7 tips to soothe your pup at night
It’s normal for your puppy to feel uncomfortable if you leave him alone in his room the first night. He doesn’t pretend at all, he is lost and panicked. Your presence calms him down, so he moans for you to come back.
- Ignore him: do not rush especially to appease him. If you give in and comfort or scold him, he will think crying or barking is a way to get your attention and will do the same.
- Tired him during the day: Puppies who are tired during the day have much less trouble falling asleep at night
- Make sure your pup has a safe place to sleep: he needs a comfortable place to sleep that’s safe from cold, heat, and wind
- Keep calm: it is important to stay in control. Not only does being upset make you more tired, but it can also make your pup more stressed and cry more.
- Always keep a small bowl of fresh water in front of him: Puppies are often thirsty at night. Remove his water bowl before bedtime to avoid small nighttime incidents. Good idea, but still advise leaving it a little bit of water
- Use the warm-up technique: it involves sliding a slightly warm sponge over her back, the same way her mother would use her tongue.
- Play on smells: you can also put on clothes impregnated with your perfume or the smell of his first place to soothe him at night.
Welcoming a puppy
Here are some things you can do to reduce your dog’s stress:
- Take your scent cloth and bring it to the kennel
- visit him before D-Day
- Stay with him for a few hours in front of his mother
- Take the cloth that smells of his mother and siblings and bring it back
- let him sleep with you
- Bring him back during the day and let him quietly discover his new environment
- Reproduce the breeder’s installation (same type of litter, same floor covering, etc.)
- Place a hot water bottle that gives off a soothing heat
- Be nice and don’t get angry if he destroys things or gets dirty…this is normal
Why is the puppy crying?
When he comes home, the puppy is brutally separated from his mother, siblings, and places he knows. From then on, your absence becomes a source of anxiety for him. This fear manifests when the puppy cries or complains about your company and comfort at night.